The Governing Board of the IEO is made up of the following members:
- The president, who is the head of the Secretary of State for Research, Development and Innovation.
- The first vice president, who is the head of the IEO address.
- The second vice president, who is the head of the Directorate General of Fisheries and Aquaculture Resources of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Food and Environment.
- The vowels, which are:
- Two representatives of the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness, with a minimum rank of general director, proposed by the head of the State Secretariat for Research, Development and Innovation.
- The head of the General Directorate of Sustainability of the Coast and Sea of ??the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Food and Environment.
- Two representatives of the coastal autonomous communities, members of the Sectoral Fisheries Conference, proposed by the Fisheries Sectoral Conference. The term of office will be four years.
- Two representatives of the fishing and aquaculture sector, proposed by the holder of the presidency of the IEO among the most representative organizations in that sector. The term of office will be four years.
- A scientist of recognized prestige in the oceanographic-fishing field, proposed by the head of the IEO management, who may be a scientific staff of the IEO. The term of office will be four years.
- A representative of the Ministry of Finance and Public Function yet to be designated by it.
General Rules of the Governing Board
- The members are appointed by the head of the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness.
- The appointment of the members will be adjusted to the current regulations, guaranteeing their professional suitability and a balanced composition between women and men.
- Acts as secretary of the Governing Council, the head of the General Secretariat of the IEO, who will attend the meetings with voice but without vote.
- The Governing Board is convened by the president, will meet at least once a year in ordinary session. The president can arrange extraordinary meetings as many times as necessary for the development of the functions that the Governing Board has entrusted, on its own initiative or at the request of at least one third of its members.